Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Urban Decay Electric Palette Dupe

It no surprise that when this palette came out, I was intrigued. It was a colorful pressed pigments palette consisting of 10 pans. These bright and bold colors are not so easy to use on a day to basis, unless that is your thing, I'm the more neutral kinda girl, with an occasional pop of color on the lash line (top or bottom depending on the mood). But on closer inspection (on other blogs and looking at swatches) I realized that even though they were nicely pigmented, the color range could have been better. There are 2 blues and one green blue type of color. That's a lot of bluish tones in a palette of 10 eyeshadows. Also it hit me that I had a wonderful rainbowy palette in my stash- the 42 matte eyeshadow palette that has 10 blushes on the bottom for good measure at like half the price. I'm not saying there will be an exact match for every shadow but they'll be coming quite close, except the shimmery silver obviously.




In all fairness I don't have the electric palette but I don't see myself going for it since I already have something that will deliver the same looks (more or less) and then some! And the blushes at the bottom on the coastal scents even has a lovely bronzer.

The pigmentation on the 42 matte palette (there is a shimmer version as well but I did not opt for, and we'll get to that in a minute), is pretty amazing considering they are mattes. They are not so soft and buttery like urban decay, but they are highly pigmented. And with a primer they not only pop more, they stay on for most of the day. For colored looks I believe using a white primer gives the best results, or an eyeshadow base of the same family of the look you are intending to create.

The fact its less than half the price doesn't hurt either.

So why the mattes and not the shimmer version? Well I figured a light swipe of a whitish or creamy shimmery/frosty eyeshadow on top of a matte can make it shimmery, or even a frosty base. So basically I had more options.

I'd think a bit before investing in the Urban Decay Electric Palette since there is close enough dupe from Coastal Scents out there. Just my own opinion.

Just a close up of the shadows in the pan.

A few swatches

You could even use them wet for a more dramatic look. 

Hope this was helpful.



1 comment:

  1. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly
    useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.


    my web-site :: unmovably

    ReplyDelete