Sunday, April 6, 2014

Play it up with Orchid

A confession before we start: I use the term "orchid" rather loosely. When it was declared Pantone color of the year, I thought to myself, it is indeed a beautiful color, but not one so easily incorporated into daily life, especially for me who is an all neutrals kind of gal. This prompted me to have a closer look into my collection and see what I could qualify to be included in the 'orchid family' and though I didn't have a lot, I came up with a modest little bunch of makeup items that I could "broadly" pass of as being in the orchid color scheme.

Top: Clinique Quad in Plum Seduction, Wet n Wild Palette in Petal Pusher
Bottom: Diana of London Blush in 06 Charming Cherry, OCC Lip Tar in Hoochie, Essence Lipstick in Funky Funky,
 Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Ultimate Orchid, Essence Eyeshadow Base in 08

The blush is a baked formula that is a muted plum but it has these blue toned undertones that made me include it in this category. 

The second shade in the Clinique Quad has the most prettiest orchid eyeshadow. And the Wet n Wild palette has that orchid theme going on, but I really like the bottom left definer shade which is a cool based tone that has lovely silver glitter running through it.

Corresponding Swatches:The blush, Clinique eyeshadow, Wet n wild eyeshadow


As for the lip colors, the first OCC lip tar is very pigmented as all lip tars are (review here). The Essence Lipstick looks scary in the tube, but it actually a very sheer cool orchid color that gives you hydration and just a hint of color, in fact it mimics a lip gloss. The Revlon liquid lipstick is a more pink based orchid as the name implies. It is quite long lasting like the tars, but less pigmented, more wearable. 

Then there is a cream color base by essence, that even on its on makes for a nice long lasting eye shade, but it can be used as base under the above mentioned eyeshadows for a more brighter and vivid look. 

Corresponding Swatches: OCC Liptar, Essence Lipstick, 
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Lipstick and Essence Eyeshadow Base


Hint: Orchid comes off as more true to color or a more enhanced orchid under a white base, so use a white pencil and smudge it over your lips or eyes and then apply the makeup.

Feel free to share you favorite Orchid products.




No comments:

Post a Comment